Maine Boating Temporary Certificate

Any person born on or after January 1, 1999, who wishes to rent and operate a motorboat or PWC for recreational boating purposes, and that vessel is propelled by a machine capable of producing more than 25 horsepower on the inland waters or territorial waters of Maine, must:


-  Be 12 years of age or older (16 years old for PWCs) AND

-  Possess a Boaters Safety Card (also generally referred to as a Lifetime Boating License)


If the boater meets the age requirement but does not possess a Boater Safety Card, they must take a Boaters Test to obtain a Maine Temporary Boating Certificate (which is valid for 14 days after completing the test).

Use the study guide or go straight to the Boaters Test. Unlimited re-tries.

Approved by Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife

Steps to get your Maine Boating Temporary Certificate


Pass test

  • Pass the Maine Temporary Certificate Test and/or take Study Guide
  • Test consists of 25 multiple choice questions
  • Unlimited re-tries

Show Certificate

  • Show the boat rental operator your Temporary Certificate
  • You will automatically receive the Temporary Certificate by email or take a screenshot
image of boating licence card front 3

Go Boating!

  • Have fun and stay safe on the water!

Is it called a Boating License?

Some people may call it a Boat License or Boaters License. However, it is not a license. It is known as a Boater Education Certificate or a Boater Education Card. The reason it is not called a Maine boating license is that it does not expire or need to be renewed.

After you have successfully completed the NASBLA / Maine approved Boater Safety Course and Exam, you will be issued a Maine Boater Card. This card is good for life.

Remember, your Boater Card must be carried with you while operating marine vessels. Otherwise, it may result in a fine from a local law enforcement officer.

Get Two Weeks Free

  • Navigate with Ease
  • Avoid Shallow Areas
  • Find the Best Spots

Frequently Asked Questions



Course Accreditation

Price & Billing

Replacement Documents



Moving to Maine